Saturday, January 16, 2010

Back, with a whole new CONCEPT! Sorta...

The deadness of this page is over!!! (Applause everybody!) I apologize for that too...(it's too late i noe... :P) Due to my laziness, I won't write about what I did in my holidays cuz its just too long, sloth is sin I know. But this stuff I'm writing ain't important. RIGHT??? So, 2010 is a New Year. 2009 is OLD, so are the previous years no? Therefore, I shall re-improve the concept of this blog to publish some short stories occasionally! BRAVA RAGAZA!!! Below is my first topic, its my essay! Titled, 'Primo, the differently-abled man'. ENJOY! Have patience in reading...

The sky was crimson red as fumes of gunpowder and destruction polluted the fresh air of the once beautiful city of Elunia. Massive war machines traversed across the streets, crushing everything miserable enough to get in the way of its unmerciful caterpillar tracts. Footmen roamed the place like termites on a bark hiding behind covers while attempting to wound their enemy. Bodies are splayed across the streets. War was never a pretty sight; it doesn’t cater the rich nor stop for the poor, it just goes on and on, confiscating life from the bodies of the innocent. The smell of carcasses was reeking throughout the town. Although the foul scent was unbearable, the grunts just have to keep pushing on to protect their people, their families, their friends, their comrades or most importantly, themselves. Stories about war were about honour, dignity and protection but that only happens in homework essays and fairytales; in reality, war was more about surviving through an onslaught of fear and death.

 

I’m Primo, Private Vincent Primo. I’m a soldier, a very confused one by the way. This is all a nightmare; I wish it was, but I’m not sleeping and I can’t afford to snooze, not now, not while I’m in this hell hole. I once called this pile of rubble home, but now it’s just a hazardous playground for weapons on wheels and nasty beings that kill. I did not asked to be here, nobody did. It was like only yesterday I was sipping brandy with my colleagues while camping in the wilderness, the next thing I know was the invasion of the Contra movement on our peaceful threshold. All men were recruited into the militia by force. It seems that our lands warriors are either dead on the front lines or AWOL. So here I am holding a rifle in my arms while leaning behind on what was left of a well known hotel dodging enemy fire. I’ve seen many comrades fall and I know I’m chugging whisky with them soon if I’m not careful. I peeped out from my cover as high velocity projectiles zoomed passed my head, barely missing me by inches. I’ve learned to shrug off my chest the fact that I would’ve been dead if it wasn’t for coincidence a long time ago. War does all kinds of things to a man. I couldn’t stay cooped up in that corner forever, so took a heroic dash out of my cover as I strafed across the battlefield with my torso turned towards my enemy. I returned fire and emptied a full magazine from my assault rifle. The boots on my feet felt heavy as each step landed with a loud cracking of gravel. I dove behind some sandbags deployed by my comrades the day before; and although snipers were there to back me up from the rear, it feels like I’m all alone out there. It’s every man for themselves now. Static hissed into the COM link on my helmet. It was Smithson.

 

‘Primo, please come back here! That wound from the forest hasn’t healed yet! It’s going to disrupt movement.’ Smithson screamed.

 

Medic Corporal Smithson is the only soldier to ever care about me throughout this whole joke. He’s a hardy one, survived from the beginning of the invasion till today. Just like his middle name, as he claims. He was right, that wound from a bite of a freakish looking wolf in the woods did sting under the bandages. Even though I am aware that without a proper healing for that wound will get me an infection, and if things gets worse…amputation. But I still have to do what I have to do. I’m going need time to heal that wound, and during a war, time stops for no man. You snooze, you lose.

 

‘Primo, I’m begging you please head back to base! You are going to get yourself killed! You are getting out of our snipers range!’ he added. Looks like I’m really on my own this time.

 

‘I’m sorry Corporal; I’m infiltrating their camps and get more medication supplies. The others are just too chicken to make their first move and my wound can’t wait any longer. I’d have my thigh amputated already by the time the supply troopship arrives.’ I replied and I turned off my COM link.

 

            Just then, I felt a sudden rush of blood in my veins. I could feel my heart throbbing in my brain. A sense of adrenaline pumped everywhere. That wound must be the cause of this. Then, it subsides. I waited for a few moments to calm down and dashed out to another corner of an alley, this time I lobbed a flash bang into the enemy lines and jammed my fingers into my ear and closed my eyes tight before acting. Seeing that my foes are too stunned and dazed to move, I released a few shots into them from a fresh magazine and saw them fall to the ground one by one like toy soldiers. Unfortunately, for every one foe that went down a dozen will show up to take its place and before I knew what was happening I was out of ammunition and was surrounded.

 

            Then, the same feeling came again; this time it was more vigorous and wild. It was painful and I confirmed that it was the wound that was causing this weird phenomenon. Everything I see were changing colours into monotone. It was black and white, like an antique picture. My nails grew curvier and longer, my palms were two times bigger than their original size. Furs like hair were spouting out from my skin and my upper torso grew bigger and buffed. I was taller and felt stronger. The grunts surrounding me stepped back in fear. I didn’t know what was happening to me. I turned to look in a window. I grew a snout and my body armour had burst open revealing a semi canine-humanoid body. I had pointy ears, two rows of dog teeth and a bushy tail that swished around whenever I flexed it about. I shrugged this curious case off my mind and focused back on the task at hand. I looked back at one of the soldiers in a canine reflex, bared my teeth and let out a snarl. He passed out. The others opened fire at the monster they were looking at in front of them while making a run for it. I bent my legs and pounced at them landing in the midst of them, I took a few shots but it didn’t even penetrate my skin. I swung my grizzly paranormal talons at them and took them out with three swipes. It looks like hell is going to be overpopulated.

 

            It was amazing; the sheer strength of the creature I took form of was so powerful that it even sent a full grown man plummeting into a wall 10 feet away of his original position. My senses are tweaked to its peak; I could smell the scent of a person and track him down even though he has gone missing for 3 days, I could even hear the heartbeat of the people sneaking up on me. Wait a second, that’s what I was hearing. I spun around and only managed to catch a glimpse of a shadow lurking back into the shadows of a dark alley. I could sense fear from the person and decided to ignore him or her and concentrated on what I came here for. I ran straight and true; I jumped over the fence of their platoon base and landed on all fours. The sky was dark at that time, and the spot lights of the watch towers are all trained on me. The security personnel that were patrolling looked at me in fear. To cut the horrifying gore-ish scene short, I rained hell down on them. Hades must be really happy right now. I burst into their tents in search for their medical supplies and rummaged through their arsenals, confiscating their weapons and extra ammunitions. After I’ve had enough with their supplies, I took off back to base.

 

On my way back, I felt light-headed and lost feelings in my limbs and fell to my knees. The bones and structure of my body distorted and twisted back into my original form. I saw a pair of boots rushing to my side and knelt on a knee. I went unconscious. I woke up with a jolt, I was on a stretcher and the sun was glaring in my eyes.

 

‘Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were up already. Let me close the flaps for you.’ The familiar voice of the friendly Medic Corporal was comforting. He closed the flaps of the tent and the tent darkened. He sat beside me, frowning.

 

‘What you did back there was ruthless; somehow you survived. I don’t know how you did it, but most importantly, you’re still here. Promise me you’ll never do that again. ’ He finally pulled off a smile.

 

            I pulled open the sheets that were covering me and I saw the most bizarre case ever! The wound has healed. How long have I been unconscious?

 

‘What day is today?’ I asked.

 

‘I’ve lost track, but you’ve only been out cold for two day. You keep having crazy dream talks about wolves and creatures. That wound must’ve given you a phobia or something.’ He said.

 

‘The weird thing that I couldn’t quite get my hands on was that wound is gone now!’ he added. I had to know what was going on.

 

            Just then, the sound of fighter jets flew past our camp and we could hear shouts and a loud klaxon siren ringing in the air. Explosions were heard here and there followed by spasms of mini earthquakes. It must’ve been an enemy air strike. I jumped out of the stretcher. No pain, good sign. We dashed out into the flying dust, dirt, sand and gravel. I felt the blast of heat of the sun as an explosion landed right beside me.

 

            The lights went out. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment